Brief History of M.C. Academy
M.C. Academy (Model School & College) known as the greatest educational institution of eastern region of sylhet district is situated by the river Surma beside the Sylhet bound Zakigonj highway having its academic buildings on a large area of about 8 acres of land including a large playground.During the first half of the twentieth century in British ruled India many educational institution were established by the renowned and scholar personalities. The Ranakely M.E. Schol later upgraded to H.E. School started its journey at the place of present Golapgonj Hospital. It is one of the symbols of the efforts taken by Late Abdul Hamid Chowdhury (Sona Miah), the youngest Son of Late Abdul Alim Chowdhury of Ranakeli village. To extend its array the institute was shifted to the present location of M.C. Academy accumulating it with Fulbari Ajiria M.E. Alia Madrasha with the efforts of Late Abdul Hamid Chowdhury as well some of the renowned personalities of Fulbari village. But the coordination did not last for long and so the Madrasha returned back to its previous location Fulbari but the school remained at its present location. At one time a larger part of one of the buildings was damaged by storm and so class accommodation became a problem. Just at that time, in 1934, Khan Bahadur Mohammed Chowdhury, the then Excise Commissioner of Assam State in British ruled India came forward to reform the school. With his financial help the institute raised its head and was named as Mohammed Chowdhury Academy or M.C. Academy.
It is noted that during the British rule, the public examinations of all schools and colleges of Assam and Bengal States were conducted under the University of Calcutta. So, it was mandatory to get affiliation of the University of Calcutta. Being an excise commissioner of Assam State Government, Khan Bahadur Mohammed Chowdhury got the school inspected by Sir Micle Keen, the then governor of Assam State. As a result, getting affiliation along with financial support from the government became easier and in 1937, a few students of this academy got chance to take part in the Matriculation examination. Later, in 1964 co-education activities were initiated in this academy.
Eventually, in 1974 the academy was approved as the SSC examination center Golap-01. Subsequently, in 1992, the academy was upgraded to higher secondary level and in 2004, the primary section was instigated. In 2010, the academy was enlisted as a model institute by the government and was named as M.C. Academy (Model School & College).
At present about 74 experienced and skilled teachers and employees engaged in this academy are successfully conducting the JSC, SSC and HSC examination performing their prime duty of providing multilateral education along with co-curricular activities as well as moral education to the two and a half thousand students of class one to twelve with a view to turning them into real manpower.